Xcel electricity rates up 21 percent in Colorado | Environment
Electricity bills for Xcel Energy customers in Colorado have risen about 21 percent in six years and are expected to rise another 20 percent over the next six as the utility adds renewable energy, builds transmission lines and passes fuel costs through to consumers.
The average monthly residential bill for Xcel customers in Colorado is now above $68.
TheDenver Post reported Sunday the increase has been twice the inflation rate.
Minneapolis-based Xcel has been upgrading existing power plants and building new ones. At the same time, Colorado has been requiring utilities to use more renewable energy, which Xcel says is more expensive than building coal-fired plants.
The Colorado Public Utility Commission says Xcel's electric rates in Colorado remain lower than the national average.
Xcel has 1.4 million Colorado customers.
Upcoming Events near Boulder
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Two arrested in big Longmont fire
- Large stack of railroad ties burns in Longmont; 2 in custody for questioning
- Police search for homeless suspect in stabbing at Longmont gas station
- Woman reported missing from Longmont found dead
- Police investigate who provided alcohol to teens after drunk girl hospitalized
- Loveland head shop owner, employee accused of selling synthetic pot
- Colorado runners ready to return to Boston Marathon
- Group in Loveland holds soup night to bring community together
- CSP identifies motorcyclists killed in Horsetooth Reservoir crash
- Teen whose heart stopped on HS baseball field returns to his team
- Westminster pastor accused of sexually assaulting child
- Police: Lafayette murder victim was planning marijuana deal with suspect
- Standley Lake High School student who set himself on fire dies
- FBI: Wells Fargo robbers took more than half-million in 2 minutes
- FBI to hold news conference on ‘violent’ Wells Fargo bank robbery