Xcel electricity rates up 21 percent in Colorado | Environment
Electricity bills for Xcel Energy customers in Colorado have risen about 21 percent in six years and are expected to rise another 20 percent over the next six as the utility adds renewable energy, builds transmission lines and passes fuel costs through to consumers.
The average monthly residential bill for Xcel customers in Colorado is now above $68.
TheDenver Post reported Sunday the increase has been twice the inflation rate.
Minneapolis-based Xcel has been upgrading existing power plants and building new ones. At the same time, Colorado has been requiring utilities to use more renewable energy, which Xcel says is more expensive than building coal-fired plants.
The Colorado Public Utility Commission says Xcel's electric rates in Colorado remain lower than the national average.
Xcel has 1.4 million Colorado customers.
Upcoming Events near Boulder
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Coroner: Man suspected of killing his 1-year-old daughter has died
- Mother of 1-year-old girl describes moments leading up to her murder
- Family: Father takes photo of daughter then kills her, shoots self
- School bus driver accused of DUI will face 36 counts of child abuse
- Rights of residents vs. rights of sex offender an issue in one neighborhood