Lafayette residents now have locations to “charge up” | Environment
The City of Lafayette has installed their first electric vehicle charging station at the Lafayette Public Library. This station, serving eastern Boulder County electric vehicle (EV) owners and those traveling through the area, was made possible through efforts and funding from the Lafayette Energy Sustainability Advisory Committee (LESAC). The central location of the Library charging station, just off Highway 287 and Baseline Road, will allow EV drivers to charge their cars during a short stop in Lafayette while they run errands in town or visit the Library.
On Thursday, May 17 LESAC will host the official ribbon cutting for the charging station in conjunction with Colorado Drives Electric Day. Information will be presented about the station and Lafayette’s support of the use of electric vehicles. A Nissan Leaf electric vehicle, courtesy of Boulder Nissan, will be on display.
“We are very excited to offer electric vehicle charging in Lafayette,” says Curt Cheesman, Director of Recreation and Facility Management for the City of Lafayette. “Electric vehicles are just beginning to grow in popularity and the City wants to show our support of those who are on the forefront with this technology. Boulder County has seen an increase in ownership of electric vehicles such as the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, and we want these car owners to frequent Lafayette.”
The City of Lafayette has also recently installed electric bike charging stations at the Bob L. Burger Recreation Center, City Hall, and the Lafayette Library. All are currently being provided at no charge to users. “Since each of these three City facilities generates energy through solar power,” explains Cheesman, “another benefit to the community is that all of the bike stations will be powered by the sun.” Electric bikes offer the convenience of a motorized vehicle with the energy saving advantages of a bicycle. The typical range is 10-30 miles per charge depending on the amount of pedal power the rider provides.
Upcoming Events near Boulder
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 4-year-old Longmont carjacking, kidnapping victim reunited with his family
- Longmont boy safe, trooper injured, 2-hour chase for suspect ends in DougCo
- Longmont police looking for buttocks-grabbing cyclist
- Man who died in fiery Longmont crash remembered at vigil
- Police: Victims walk away with minor injuries after crash with semi
- Police: Selfie could show Loveland burglary suspect
- High school baseball coaches save life of one of their players
- Affidavit: Family of Cody Powell said he sent unusual texts before turning himself in
- Loveland police continue search for gunman who shot officer
- PHOTOS: Firefighters rescue horse from frozen pond near Loveland
- Standley Lake High School student who set himself on fire dies
- FBI: Wells Fargo robbers took more than half-million in 2 minutes
- FBI to hold news conference on ‘violent’ Wells Fargo bank robbery
- Coyotes put Westminster neighborhood ‘under siege’
- Standley Lake HS closed Tuesday after student lights self on fire