Lafayette residents now have locations to “charge up” | Environment
The City of Lafayette has installed their first electric vehicle charging station at the Lafayette Public Library. This station, serving eastern Boulder County electric vehicle (EV) owners and those traveling through the area, was made possible through efforts and funding from the Lafayette Energy Sustainability Advisory Committee (LESAC). The central location of the Library charging station, just off Highway 287 and Baseline Road, will allow EV drivers to charge their cars during a short stop in Lafayette while they run errands in town or visit the Library.
On Thursday, May 17 LESAC will host the official ribbon cutting for the charging station in conjunction with Colorado Drives Electric Day. Information will be presented about the station and Lafayette’s support of the use of electric vehicles. A Nissan Leaf electric vehicle, courtesy of Boulder Nissan, will be on display.
“We are very excited to offer electric vehicle charging in Lafayette,” says Curt Cheesman, Director of Recreation and Facility Management for the City of Lafayette. “Electric vehicles are just beginning to grow in popularity and the City wants to show our support of those who are on the forefront with this technology. Boulder County has seen an increase in ownership of electric vehicles such as the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, and we want these car owners to frequent Lafayette.”
The City of Lafayette has also recently installed electric bike charging stations at the Bob L. Burger Recreation Center, City Hall, and the Lafayette Library. All are currently being provided at no charge to users. “Since each of these three City facilities generates energy through solar power,” explains Cheesman, “another benefit to the community is that all of the bike stations will be powered by the sun.” Electric bikes offer the convenience of a motorized vehicle with the energy saving advantages of a bicycle. The typical range is 10-30 miles per charge depending on the amount of pedal power the rider provides.
Upcoming Events near Boulder
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Two arrested in big Longmont fire
- Large stack of railroad ties burns in Longmont; 2 in custody for questioning
- Police search for homeless suspect in stabbing at Longmont gas station
- Woman reported missing from Longmont found dead
- Police investigate who provided alcohol to teens after drunk girl hospitalized
- Loveland head shop owner, employee accused of selling synthetic pot
- Colorado runners ready to return to Boston Marathon
- Group in Loveland holds soup night to bring community together
- CSP identifies motorcyclists killed in Horsetooth Reservoir crash
- Teen whose heart stopped on HS baseball field returns to his team
- Westminster pastor accused of sexually assaulting child
- Police: Lafayette murder victim was planning marijuana deal with suspect
- Standley Lake High School student who set himself on fire dies
- FBI: Wells Fargo robbers took more than half-million in 2 minutes
- FBI to hold news conference on ‘violent’ Wells Fargo bank robbery